Autism Acceptance Month
is time to
#ConnectWithMe and #CelebrateDifferences!
Autism Acceptance Month kicks off on April 1, and the Autism Society of Greater Akron is working to #CelebrateDifferences all month to recognize the multitude of experiences within the Autism community. No family or individual’s story is the same as any other, and we believe the world should recognize the infinite ways the Autism community experiences life.
Join us as we honor the wide range of experiences across the spectrum by taking time to share your stories on social media through the #ConnectWithMe or #CelebrateDifferences hashtag. In sharing our unique stories, we can highlight the need for acceptance, inclusion, and connections that support people with Autism throughout life’s journey.
Ready? Let’s do this together!
Learn About Autism.
Attend a Free Film Screening of “Loving Lampposts: Living Autistic”
Thursday, April 7 • 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Kent State University is hosting a free film screening of “Loving Lampposts: Living Autistic” followed by a panel discussion featuring Director Todd Drezner, and ASGA Board Member, Zachary Strickler (Neurodiversity Coordinator, KSU). Event is free with registration preferred.
Watch a movie or read a book about Autism
DOWNLOAD this list for elementary, middle, and high school ages.
Visit Your Library
Stop by your local library in Summit, Stark, Medina, Portage and Wayne counties to see their display of books, videos, and other materials to highlight Autism Acceptance Month 2022.
Explore these sections of our website - Coming Soon!
- Making an Inclusive Community
- The Autism Experience
Spread the Word.
- Like ASGA on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Share information posted by ASGA on your social media to increase the understanding and acceptance of Autism with friends and family.
- Use the hashtags #ConnectWithMe and #CelebrateDifferences.
- Post a "What is Autism" Flyer in your school or place of employment.
Share Your Story.
Use this #ConnectWithMe Card to tell people in the community how they can connect with you.
- Write on the card your interests, how people can support you or communicate with you.
- Examples: I like trains. I like Disney World. Do you like cats? Please do not shout.
- Take a photo or video of you or your family holding the cards.
- Share on social media using #CelebrateDifferences or #ConnectWithMe and tag @GreaterAkron. You can also email photos to ASGA. We will share these connections throughout April!
Attend an Activity.
Interactive Storytime with Jane (via Zoom)
April 4 and April 18 • 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm
ASGA Staff Member, Jane Fitz, will read interactive books about differences. Make a craft to use with the story, sing songs, and move your body. Everyone can join in!
Family Game Night (via Zoom)
April 8 - Trivia • April 22 - Bingo
Everyone is welcome! Enjoy time with other families!
Saturday, May 7, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
North Canton Skate & Entertainment
Cost is $25 per family -- includes access to skating, laser tag, laser maze, rock wall, bumper cars and jump shot basketball. (Inline skating, skate mates and video games extra). Snacks/drinks will be provided.
Raise Funds to Support ASGA.
- Make a team to show acceptance and raise funds for ASGA.
- Become a sponsor.
- Volunteer your time at the event or on the committee.
- Two dates this year - sign up for one or both!
- Summit County on June 18 at Lock 3 in Downtown Akron
- Stark County on August 13 at McKinley Museum in North Canton
CONNECT WITH US!
ASGA is a proud member of the Ohio Family Network (OFN), connecting people with disabilities and their families to local information and resources within their communities. OFN provides opportunities to share ideas, find solutions to common challenges and inspire and strengthen others.