When parents or support providers become concerned that their child is not following a typical developmental course, they turn to experts, including psychologists, educators and medical professionals, for a diagnosis.



Your Pediatrician - If you’re concerned about your child’s development, talk to your child’s pediatrician.  Ask your doctor to evaluate your child for autism or make a referral to a professional who can (developmental psychologist, developmental pediatrician, or pediatric neurologist). 

Children Under 3 – If your child is under 3 years of age, you may also contact Ohio’s early intervention program called Help Me Grow.  The program is designed for parents of newborns, infants, and toddlers, and it provides both health and developmental services.  Read more about Help Me Grow ...

Your Child’s School – If your child is in preschool or elementary school, talk to his teacher about your concerns.  If your child is not yet in school, you may still contact your local school district.  The school district is responsible for identifying all children with disabilities.  Read more about Educational Evaluations

Your County Board of Developmental Disability Services – This agency provides funding and services for individuals with developmental disabilities, including autism.  Services can include service coordination, advocacy, school-age services, vocational, residential and respite services along with family resources and waiver programs.  Find out TODAY, if your child is eligible for services with your local Board of DD!  Read more about County Board of DD services and the waiver programs



Consider looking into the following sources …

Private Insurance - Check your insurance plan to see if it pays for a medical/ clinical evaluation for developmental disabilities or autism.

Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps (BCMH) - BCMH is a part of the Ohio Department of Health that provides funding for evaluations through their approved providers. To find out what is covered, call the state office at (800) 755-4769 or visit the website HERE.

Medicaid - Check with your county’s Jobs and Family Services (JFS) agency to see if your child is eligible for funding for an evaluation through a Medicaid provider.  Find your county’s JFS by visiting their website HERE.

County Board of Developmental Disability Services (CBDDS) - Some county boards pay for a medical/clinical evaluation. Check with your county board to see if they will provide funding for a medical/clinical evaluation. Find your county board contact information at (800) 617-7633 or visit HERE.

County Board of Mental Health - Some mental health boards subsidize the cost of an evaluation. Check with your County Board of Mental Health for a referral for a medical/clinical evaluation. Contact them at (877) 275-6364 or visit HERE.



Additional resources available at …
Autism Society of America
OCALI (Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence)


Portions of the information above were duplicated from the following:

  • Next Steps:  A Guide for Families New to Autism which was originally printed in booklet form by the Autism Society and the Autism Society of Wisconsin through a grant from ShopKo Stores Inc.
  • Ohio’s Parent Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorders published by OCALI (Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence)
  • Four Step Guide for Ohio Parents on What To Do Next developed by OCALI