Join Team ASGA!
Position Title: Support Specialist
Hours: Part-time, Est. 10 - 15 hrs/week
Reports to: Executive Director
The mission of the Autism Society of Greater Akron (ASGA) is to improve the lives of all affected by autism. ASGA’s five core services are information and referral to services, education, support, advocacy, and awareness; we serve Summit, Stark, Medina, Portage, and Wayne counties.
The Support Specialist provides affiliate programs and services in compliance with organizational standards that require significant teamwork and collaboration with staff, volunteers, and disability social services organizations throughout the affiliate’s service area.
General Function Statement
The Support Specialist serves as the primary liaison between the public and the organization. Duties include but are not limited to overseeing support groups, the Information & Referral Help Line, the Autism Society’s database, and staffing community outreach events.
This position is part-time. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
Specific Job-Related Duties
- Service Delivery
- As the primary individual responsible for support related services, the Support Specialist manages Information and Referral (Help Line), phone calls from individuals with ASD, families, providers, and others, who are seeking information about autism and referral to services.
- Oversees Coffee, Tea and Autism support groups, including training facilitators, keeping facilitators informed of new information, and tracking data related to groups. Also responsible for facilitating support groups.
- Ability to run Coffee, Tea and Autism support group for adults with ASD and perhaps other groups as well.
- Resource Development
- Utilizes “IQDB,” the information database hosted by the Autism Society of America, which serves as a detailed record-keeping system for tracking contacts made and information provided.
- Work with other staff to maintain the website with local resources and information.
- Develop and maintain internal controls, recordkeeping, and reporting of outreach, program, and resource referral initiatives.
- Community Outreach
- Represent ASGA at public events hosted by other agencies/organizations as appropriate.
- Serve on community/county/city task forces that help support ASGA’s goals and mission.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of autism is preferred but caring about people impacted by autism is mandatory.
- Knowledge of community social services such as Board of Developmental Disabilities, SSI, Medicaid, Health insurance, preferred.
- Commitment to professional development; maintains knowledge of issues related to autism.
- Fast-paced environment requiring the ability to maintain a calm and professional attitude under pressure or shifting priorities.
- Possess strong customer service skills including active listening.
- Excellent organizational, time management, oral and written communication skills.
- Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Demonstrated passion for making a positive impact on individuals, families, and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit is preferred, or a history of volunteerism and community service.
- Small staff setting requires the ability to work as a team assisting other team members when needed.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, or related field preferred; educational requirement may be waived upon evaluation of experience and demonstrated competence. Demonstrated experience in customer service and willingness to lead support groups.
How to Apply
We strongly encourage a cover letter that explains why you are interested in this position and your qualifications. Please do not call. We hope you will understand that we may not be able to respond to all applicants, and we deeply appreciate your effort to contact us. Applicants selected for an interview will receive a response. Send resumes to:
Autism Society Greater Akron
703 S. Main Street
Akron, OH 44311
The Autism Society of Greater Akron is a non-profit organization. Salary will be determined based on experience.
The Autism Society of Greater Akron is one of over 100 affiliates of the Autism Society of America, the largest and oldest autism organization in the Country. Our core services include education, support, community outreach, advocacy, and awareness. ASGA serves Summit, Medina, Stark, Portage, and Wayne counties.