In 2021, ASGA’s mission was more critical than ever to create connections within our community after a year of isolation. The Autism Society of Greater Akron’s Board of Directors and staff worked hard to re-prioritize our budget to create programs that helped connect individuals in the autism community and their families.
Here is how ASGA made a difference in 2021:
- Addressed COVID vaccine questions from ASGA’s survey of Ohio residents with science-based information from the CDC and local health professionals during the Autism Summit
- Granted $5,000 in food and respite relief
- Responded to over 400 requests for information and resources through the Help Line and Caregiver Facebook Group
- Empowered 465 attendees with knowledge to make informed decisions through monthly Educational Webinars
- Arranged 53 Social Club opportunities for individuals with ASD to connect with their peers
- Engaged 287 kids and their families with Activity Boxes full of fun crafts and activities to do together
- Taught 216 one-on-one water safety lessons during our Swimming with Autism program
- Introduced two new inclusive community events with Autism Friendly Partners - Fishing at Summit Metro Parks and Halloween in the Park with Portage Park District
- Step Into Autism Disability Resource Fair connected over 200 people to local community resources
We will continue to create top-shelf programs in 2022! Make sure to check our calendar, sign up for our newsletter, and join us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter to receive weekly updates on our upcoming programs and events!
Let’s continue to create meaningful connections in 2022!
Laurie and the ASGA Team